A fire that broke out at the Travelodge hotel on Athabasca Street East on Friday afternoon is being deemed an accidental cooking fire by the Moose Jaw Fire Department.

The fire department received the call at around 2 p.m. on Friday afternoon. They had three units and nine firefighters on the scene and responded to the fire within a minute of the call.

When the crews arrived there was heavy smoking coming from two floors as well as the roof. Firefighters entered the back of the building where the fire is believed to have started in the kitchen. Upon entering the building, crews were able to get the fire under control very quickly.

"It was a good one for us. We had a really good response time, the crews did a great job in not only knocking the fire down quick but checking for extensions as well as making sure that you go through the second, and third floors up to the roof and that was the primary concern, especially with a building of this type," said Deputy Fire Chief Mike Russell.

Emergency crews were on the scene for about an hour and a half. Other than one person receiving minor medical attention from EMS on the scene, no other injuries were reported.