This first week of November is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.

From the 1st to the 7th, it's important to make sure all your appliances are in check to avoid the risk of CO poisoning.

Speaking with Cathy Bassett, the Public Safety Officer for the Moose Jaw Fire Department, it's about simple things to avoid any illness or even death.

"It's just basic common sense. We live in Canada so we have natural gas furnaces, and that's one of the biggest [carbon monixide sources] right. So you should get those inspected at least once a year in the fall just to make sure they're working properly," she said. "Have your chimneys checked. Any of your gas appliances like a dryer, if you have a gas run dryer."

She also warns that nothing like a generator or barbeque should be used indoors, even in your garage.

It's also important to have a working CO alarm in your household. Any will do, as long as it has batteries and is in the proper place.

If you're in doubt when your alarm goes off and it doesn't tell you about the battery, then Bassett says you should definitely call the fire department. They can come with their multi-gas detectors and check your home to make sure it is safe.

Lightheadedness and flu-like symptoms are tell-tale signs of CO poisoning. If you and others are getting these symptoms, it may be best to go get fresh air and call the Fire Department. Keep an eye out for little kids and animals though, as they will be the first to feel the effects.

"I think the most important thing to remember here is Carbon Monoxide is often called the invisible killer," Bassett added. "Carbon Monoxide is an invisible, odourless, colourless gas that's created when fuels such as gas or wood or natural gas, propane, or any of those burns."