As campers and motor homes hit the road for the summer season, we're being reminded of prepping your trailer properly after winter storage. A family of 5 was hospitalized over the May long weekend with carbon monoxide poisoning near Candle Lake, after lighting the furnace in the trailer without removing the winter covers off the vents.
Michelle Ferguson, Sales Manager from Moose Jaw RV and Marine, says its important to check your propane hookups before heading out, and that electricity is important to think about as well.
"Make sure that the propane system is checked to make sure that there is no propane leaks. The oven and the stove are all gas. All your propane hookups would be something that they should chose to have a look at"
"Make sure your electrical cords are in good shape - like how cell phone cords wear at the end and it gets too flexible - the plastic gives and the integrity of the wires give".
Ferguson adds that while these events are rare, it is now law for all trailers and motor homes sold to be fitted with a smoke and carbon monoxide detector.
A power surge from the campground/RV park plugin is another problem that could be devestating;
"One other thing that you could think about is surge protection. Not all campgrounds have the same amount of power going through the power outlets. Surge protection isn't covered by insurance or warranty. So if you did have a power surge go through your trailer it would fry almost everything that's electrical in your trailer".