The Moose Jaw Police Service held their Award Ceremony on Tuesday; 47 different recipients received a number of different awards for such reasons as Curtis Pladson, who saved 3 children from a house fire, Cst. Shawn Mohle who saved a women on a bridge who was considering taking her own life, and Renee Renwick and Donna Kaminski who stopped a potentially dangerous situation.
"We saw somebody driving erratically and I said 'That's it Renee, we're calling 9-1-1.'"
"Donna started flashing her lights in hopes of getting him to pull over, which thankfully he did. As she started talking to him she took his keys, and I stayed on the phone with the police until they were able to arrive."
Both Renwick and Kaminski were awarded with the Community Safety Award.
"We just felt we were doing what was right. To receive this award is just humbling and makes us feel good," said Kaminski. Renwick mirrored her thoughts. "It was just a snap decision, doing what any person would do. So it's really nice and humbling to have our contribution recognized."
This is the 5th year the annual awards have been held, with over 230 being handed out to members of the community and police service. There are 5 categories for the awards, including Chief's Commendation, Community Safety, Innovation, Community Building and Teamwork.
Chief of Police Rick Bourassa says these ceremonies never fail to amaze him.
"You saw the number of young people that were being recognized today and just doing some really incredible things. It bodes really well for our future; we have a very promising horizon ahead of us."
"We as a police service, we can only function and be effective if we are part of the community, have support of the community, and if we police with the consent of the community. Every year I come away (from this event) with a renewed sense of hope for the future."
Chief Bourassa also received an award for his work during the Atamiskakewak National Gathering.
"I was part of the Atamiskakewak organizing committee that brought the National Gathering here. So yeah I had a role in coordinating some of the security and helping with the logistics of that. I was very honoured!"
Here is the full list of winners from the award ceremony;
(1) Cst. Melanie Ziffle
(2) Cst. Shawn Mohle
(3) Curtis Pladson
(1) Cpl. Adrian Cst. Clement, Cpl. Elder, Cpl. Flanagan, Cst. Heck, Cst. Hoggins, Cst. Lawrence Sgt. Lewis, Cst. S. MacNaughton, Sgt. Mickleborough, Inspector Oleniuk, Cst. Seidlitz, Cst. Strube, Cst. Sukenik, Cst. Watt
(1) Moose Jaw Kinsmen Club (President Anthony Gusikowski accepted the award)
(2) Brent Handy and Greg Simpson
(3) Cassidy Evans
(4) Gerald Stonechild
(5) Atamiskakewak National Gathering 2018 - Rob Clark, Deb Negraiff, Jeff Cappo, Tim Ellis, Lori Deets, Charlene Duckworth, Chad Hall, Carrie Johnson, Lorrie Hall, Rose Marie Zaba-Stewart, Kevin Harris, Lori-Lee Harris, Chris McKee, Kallie Wood
(1) Donna Kaminski/Renee Renwick
(2) Cole Sweeney/Kelly Neff
(3) Canadian Red Cross (accepted by Sandra Gebert)
First Baptist Church (accepted by Valerie Muirhead)
Saskatchewan Health Authority Home Care Services (Catherine Stewart)
(1) Boston Pizza - Main Street (accepted by Kelly Miller)
(2) James Gallo
(3) Cst. Kyle Cunningham