Parents, supporters, teachers, board members, and interested outsiders all gathered at the local school Monday night to learn about why Ross School is being considered for closure.

 

About 100 concerned parents and supports of Ross School attended an elector's meeting at the school last evening, trying to get answers from the board about the future of the school.

The local school is part of 6 schools being reviewed for possible closure or grade reduction as the school board tries to get a grip on the a 5 million dollar budget shortfall.

Board Chair Gord Stewart was asked if the makeup of Ross school made it an ideal candidate for review. "Ross has within it three separate components and two of them are bussed in right now so to move them to another one, although its disruptive to students, it is something that is possible."

Parent and accountant Chad Novak was one of the major speakers and has a plan of action to save the school. "My proposal as a certified management accountant is to perform a two month strategic analysis of the financial difficulties faced in the Prairie South School Division and to determine what alternatives are available to them, to determine what savings could be realized from these alternatives, and ultimately to provide a recommendations on those alternatives."

Board Chair Gord Stewart said the board would respond to his proposal at its next meeting March 6th. A final decision on all 6 schools being reviewed is expected in late May.

Moose Jaw City Council discussed the current debate surrounding Ecole Ross School during their regular Monday night meeting.

A letter was discussed that was requesting support from the city in the fight to keep the school open.

Council decided against sending a letter of support as they wish to stay out of the debate. Mayor Dale McBain said "they don't tell us how to spend our money, we don't tell them how to spend theirs."

DiscoverMooseJaw.com is Moose Jaw's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.

Login