Fight the Flu!

Find a free flu clinic near you!

Click here!

"Shop in a Store With a Door" For Small Business Day

Today is a good day to shop local. For the sixth consecutive year, the Canadian Federation of Independent Business has proclaimed the Saturday after Small Business Week 'Small Business Saturday'.The…



Thousands of young people are brought into Canada and as many as one million are sold into the international sex trade each year. Nashi is a volunteer group based out of Saskatoon that focuses on providing awareness locally... nationally and internationally on human trafficking.

Nashi President Savelia Curniski explains that the group goes into a country such as Ukraine and does seminars. "We are also in the process right now of building a safe home where the children would have a safe place to stay, but they would also a trade component where they can hopefully become economically sufficient".

Curniski got involved with the area of human trafficking having seen some of the human trafficking that was taking place in Ukraine. "Then I continued to do reading and research and realized that Ukraine was becoming a source country for human traffickers. I was personally very appalled by what I saw and had to make a decision personally whether I walk away from it or become involved".

She says the number of people taken are shocking."Girls are being taken out of Ukraine and though the numbers are very, very difficult to determine because it is such an underground movement we would estimate in the area of the 50,000 girls and boys 80 per cent of those that are taken are going into the sex trade and the other 20 per cent are going into low paid, unskilled, dangerous labour jobs".

Curniski was in Moose Jaw Thursday speaking at the Timothy Eaton Centre as a part of International Women's month.

Local Sports

Warriors' Point Streak Snapped by Hitmen

A six-game point streak ended on Friday for the Moose Jaw Warriors, as the Calgary Hitmen played a hard game and picked up a 5-1 win at Mosaic Place. Calgary goalie Carl Stankowski made 30 saves for…

Central & Peacock Focused Heading into Semifinals

We're down to four teams in the Moose Jaw High School Football League with the semifinals on the field this Saturday in Moose Jaw and Yorkton. The Central Cyclones will host the Swift Current Colts…

Sask Barrel Racing Provincials Coming to MJ

A provincial championship is coming to Moose Jaw, as the Saskatchewan Barrel Racing Association announced on Thursday that the 2019 SBRA Provincial Finals will be hosted here in the Friendly City.…

Riders Bench Hughes for Saturday’s Game

After further evaluation, defensive end Charleston Hughes won’t be in the lineup on Saturday when the Saskatchewan Roughriders take on the Calgary Stampeders. The Roughriders released a statement on…

Ag News

2019 Saskatchewan Agriculture Scholarship Applications Now Open

The theme ‘Our Food has a Story,’ is designed to get young people thinking about the relationship between agriculture and the food they eat. Agriculture Minister David Marit says the scholarship…

Bunge Getting Pushed To Make Changes

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that investment firm D.E.Shaw & Co. has boosted its stake in Bunge Ltd. and is pushing the grain trader to make operational improvements and add board members.…

Canada Secures Access In Key ASEAN Markets

The Government of Canada has announced new market access for live cattle exports to the Philippines, as well as sheep and goat genetics exports to Indonesia and the Philippines. “Canada is building…

Healing And Health Through Food

The Canadian Centre for Agri-Food Research in Health and Medicine in Winnipeg is doing work to learn more about harnessing the health benefits of the food we eat. Researchers are working on foods,…

DiscoverMooseJaw.com is Moose Jaw's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.

Search the Biz Guide

Upcoming Events

Login