×

Summer Recreation Guide

Summer Recreation Guide is available online – click here!

Moose Jaw Civic Election Highlights

councildesk

No one was ready to declare anyone elected until each and every one of the votes were counted.  Some races were that close.  The races for mayor, city council and public school board were all, at times, exciting to watch as civic election results trickled in Wednesday night.

Moose Jaw's new mayor-elect is Deb Higgins.  Higgins, who will become the first female mayor in our city's history, was out in front of her opponent by just a few hundred votes all night.  In the end, it proved to be enough as the former MLA defeated Ex-City Councillor Fraser Tolmie by 594 votes.

Moose Jaw City Council will look very much the same with a couple of new faces.  Incumbents Heather Eby, Dawn Luhning, Brian Swanson and Don Mitchell are all returning to council chambers for a four-year term.  New to the big desk are rookie candidates Patrick Boyle and Candis Kirkpatrick.  For what it's worth, Ira Dales was just 54 votes shy of a council seat.

In the race for the final spot, in Subdivision 6 on the Prairie South School, there were just 32 votes separating Darrell Crabbe and Barb Owens.  Crabbe, and fellow incumbents Lew Young and Brian Swanson, retained their seats.  Tim McLeod and Jan Radwanski are new to the board.

And the majaority of Moose Javians, who voted, voted against adopting the ward system in Moose Jaw.  54 per cent felt it wasn't right for our city while the other 46 per cent, obviously, voted in favour.

Mayor
Deb Higgins (5,239 votes)
Fraser Tolmie (4,645 votes)

City Council
Heather Eby (5,085 votes)
Dawn Luhning (4,838 votes)
Don Mitchell (4,704 votes)
Brian Swanson (4,692 votes)
Patrick Boyle (3,445 votes)
Candis Kirkpatrick (3,190 votes)

Public School Board

Tim McLeod (2,969 votes)
Lew Young (2,900 votes)
Brian Swanson (2,625 votes)
Jan Radwanski (2,280 votes)
Darrell Crabbe (2,105 votes)

Referendum Question

"That The City of Moose Jaw be divided into wards for the election of six city councillors beginning with the 2016 municipal elections" (4,135 votes "for" 4,786 "against")

Share This:

  • Beautification Awards

    Deadline Nearing For Beautification Awards

    Monday July 06, 2015

    They're back for another year, the beautification awards recognize some of the most beautifully landscaped properties in Moose Jaw. City

  • smoke1

    Expect To See More Smoke Soon

    Monday July 06, 2015

    Just when we thought we were in the clear, Environment Canada has said that there will be winds blowing heavy smoke down to the south. Sm

  • Lake Manitou

    Province Fights Dry Conditions, Manitou Prevents Flood

    Monday July 06, 2015

    Lake Manitou has gradually risen over the last few years due to high spring runoff and precipitation levels.  The lake is the centrepiece

  • sidewalkdaysyara

    14,000 Take In Sidewalk Days

    Monday July 06, 2015

    It's one of the most popular events in Moose Jaw during the summer and it was successful once again. Sidewalk Days took over the downtown

  • cloudy skies

    More Rain Needed

    Monday July 06, 2015

    It was a good downpour but way too short.  That seems to be the story when it comes to the rain around Moose Jaw this year.  Just when i

  • 80s week

    80's Week in MJ

    Monday July 06, 2015

    Break out your old acid wash jeans and the neon, from July 7th to the 11th, the Mae Wilson Theatre will be showing some classic 80's movie

  • winners

    A-moose-ing Race Was Fun For All Competitors

    Sunday July 05, 2015

    It was a fun day used to create awareness for a worthy cause. Yesterday's A-moose-ing Race was a success, as nearly 40 teams competed in t

  • wilbur

    New Communications Manager Is A Busy Man

    Sunday July 05, 2015

    He may be new to town, but not new to the job. Wilbur McLean is the first Communications Manager in the history of Moose Jaw. McLean says

  • louisd1

    Moose Jaw Native Designing Some Popular Furniture

    Sunday July 05, 2015

    Moose Jaw native Louis Dombowsky is a furniture designer, who works on designing his own line, which is starting to be picked up in stores

  • snowbirds1

    Sidewalk Days Wraps Up (VIDEO)

    Saturday July 04, 2015

        Sidewalk Days has concluded for another year. The annual downtown festival featured nine blocks of shopping, food, activities for t

Search Local News Archives

National News

  • View more